Skip to content

Process of Getting The Second Chance


So this week Geoff and I have been working on our film, The Second Chance. Geoff had a business trip so we decided to film things separately in our own time before meeting up again to record our interviews and edit our film together.

This past weekend I went to the Prince William National Forest to film some parts for my half of the film. The park rangers there were very nice and they let me film there for a little while. They told me not to mention them in the film though, so that’s why you won’t see any credit for them. They were worried about permissions and all that. The park was really meant for overnight camping, but we were only there for an hour or two. Still, despite their worries, they let me film a few scenes there.

Other than that, I worked on finding other videos I could use for the film since some of them I wouldn’t be able to recreate some of the zombie and illness scenes on my own. I ended up finding more videos while editing the film since there were spots in time where I didn’t have enough film. I will properly credit things in the blog where I show our finished film.

Geoff got back verrrrrryyyyy early on Monday morning, so we met at the Vocal Booth at the HCC at noon to record our interviews. With this we recorded and saved each Q&A separately so that we could have some flexibility later when editing the film.

Once we got done recording the interviews, we went to the computer lab at the HCC to start editing our film. This is where we ran into some more technical difficulties (cause nothing can ever be easy for us). iMovie could not recognize some of our videos. It took us a long time to figure our way around this. We ended up having to publish each of our videos on YouTube and then using the 4K Video Downloader to resave them but in a different format. This worked! But it also took a reaaalllllyyyy long time to do. We ended up being able to finish Geoff’s half since his came first. Geoff was able to edit his half how he wanted it to be with the film he had. I helped him figure some stuff out, but it was pretty much all him for his own half.

At that point, it was getting to be 5 o’clock in the evening, so we decided to call it quits. Geoff had a class, and I needed to get back home. We decided to save his half as is and then I would take it home to edit and add in my own half.

This is where I ran into even more problems. I don’t have an Apple computer, I have Windows. This means the only video editing software I have is Movie Maker. All I can say is that this software is suuuuuuper annoying. I have to edit each individual clip and save it separately before I can compile them. If the timing is off, I have to start all over again. I’m not sure if there is any other easier way to do this, but I have not found it.

It ended up taking me 3 hours to do the first 3 questions of the 10 Evelyn has. I still have not finished at this point, but I will be finishing it tonight.

Please look forward to it!

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: